.. not be like my Mom in every way, shape and form while growing up, I wind up doing things just like my Mom. Looking like her was the only characteristic I would accept, but DNA took care of that one for me. The ability to draw and sketch since elementary school, even though it wasn’t the same material/medium? Mom. That talent even influenced my chosen college. If it weren’t for the parents always guiding me, I wouldn’t have taken business and marketing courses. A decision which did help develop my overall applied ability and fuel my interests. Never wanted to work as an Admin. Lo and behold, what have I been doing for the past decade? You guessed it. Just like Mom, only not the traditional Admin. The latest?, taking up crochet. Only I want to make it all, and have already finished a few pieces, in anticipation of getting better with the finishing over the next months. Now I totally understand why she liked it so much. When we were younger, it was something for her to do, stretch the wardrobe dollars so to speak, etc. But I had no idea how relaxing it can be. And so relaxing, it can even be done while watching tv, which is what I’ve been doing most of the time.
So when I’m not downloading cool but easy patterns for beginners like me, or checking the lys (local yarn store) for the prettiest colors in the most affordable yarn, I’m trying to figure out a pattern while watching tv. Part of the reason why I decided to get back in the gym so I can be svelte again while strutting my stuff in my newfound craft that I’ll be wearing soon. I owe it all to my Mom. She hasn’t crocheted in decades but since I’ve started, and have acquired my hooks and yarn, not to mention she my nieces and nephew, I’m sure she will start again.
Now if I can just follow a pattern without getting confused, (I think I downloaded something intermediate) instead crocheting from the heart and how I think an item should look (like I said I finished a few pieces) I can really be a "crochet DIVA". That’s what I like about it; I can use basic skills to adjust, create and design a garment of my own if I’m stuck with a pattern. Bridging over to free form, but that’s another entry. Until next time, ode to Mom, thanks for your creativity, and passing your gift on to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment