Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Social media, proceed with caution

The current Facebook terms of service caused uproar this week, but for those who think like I do, proceed with caution. In my mind, it was the Facebook fiasco. The thought of anyone owning private material even after you close account is just too demoralizing for me.

I’ve always networked professionally, and never did something just because everyone else is doing it. For every action there is an equal reaction. Jumping from site to site looking for people to network with, is still work being done online. It still has its consequence, depending on the content.

Lately more online sites, and search engines such as Google and Meetup added the Facebook icon. This allows personalization so that the user can have the information associated with your Facebook account. Sounds cool until you get all kinds of SPAM on the account and the email address associated with it. Maybe I don’t want all of my information put out there like that. I don’t like being solicited to death. The movie ‘The Net’ starring Sandra Bullock comes to mind. Do you really want to be that connected with everyone?

Jobseekers have to be especially careful because now more than ever, because it’s an employer’s market. Recruiters turn to Facebook even though it’s personal, to research potential candidates; to get an inkling of that person’s character and personality. A slight disadvantage if you registered with your full name, and didn’t really think about the material placed online. You really have to think about your objective when joining social media sites. What do you intend to get out it? That’s the question that should be on everyone’s mind before you join. Is it a business tool, or networking tool, that can be used throughout the year, and years to follow? Or is it just the latest flavor and everyone wants to savor the taste? Choose what you use carefully and proceed with caution. I’ll stick to the law of attraction, have a little fun with it, and you better believe I’ll proceed with caution. That’s my take on it, what’s yours?

3 comments:

OEBooks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MissB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MissB said...

MissB chose to respond in private.